1. One woman is killed by her partner or ex-partner in New Zealand every four weeks. Approximately half of all homicides in New Zealand are family violence related.
2. One in three New Zealand women experience physical and/or sexual abuse at the hands of a partner during their lifetime.
3. In any one year, one woman in five will experience physical and/or sexual abuse at the hands of a partner.
4. One in five New Zealand men are subjected to violence by their partners.
5. 93 out of every 100 domestic violence cases in New Zealand are male assault female.
6. About 10 children are killed every year in New Zealand by a member or members of their own family.
7. The annual cost of family violence in New Zealand is at least $1.2 billion.
8. Family violence is a major problem in New Zealand but by reaching out for help all of us can begin to change the cycle of abuse and violence.
(Source: Women's Refuge, NZ Herald News dated Nov’2012)